- Install and maintain electrical systems to ensure businesses and homes run efficiently
- Troubleshoot problems and repair wiring or equipment
- Use different electrical tools to diagnose problems
- Read blueprints and follow safety and building regulations
- Perform maintenance and upgrade older systems
"The national electrical grid is the backbone of our country. This critical infrastructure powers all of our lives."
Electrical contractors work in different markets, so electrician apprentices are exposed to different work environments. Depending on the contractor, the apprentice may have heavy exposure to only one marketplace, such as retail, or multiple (think schools, banks, industrial, heal care, etc.).